Toxic Plants to Cats
We all enjoy decorating our homes with beautiful plants and flowers. Unfortunately some of the most popular plants are toxic to cats.
If you keep an indoor cat only, you need to be especially aware of this fact and either get rid of all toxic plants or keep them securely out of reach for your cat.
Make no mistake, cats are attracted to plants and cats will chew on your plants. A good idea is to have trays of safe grass with easy access for your cat to chew on.
Chances are your indoor cat may leave your houseplants alone if the cat has easy access to regular grass.
There is a juice in grass which contains a vitamin called folic acid. Cats need this vitamin for the production of hemoglobin. It is not found in modern day cat meat diet. Cats will naturally seek to get a little of this juice.
They are not so interested in the plant itself, but by chewing the plant they secure their need for folic acid. Indoor cats that do not have access to grass may start to chew on other plants or flowers.
If you suspect that you cat has digested a toxic plant or flower, it is of vital importance that you contact your vet immediately. If that is not possible please call the National Animal Poison Control Center.
There are close to 400 different toxic plants to cats. Before bringing a plant into your home, please make sure it is safe for your cats.
Don’t despair; there are hundreds of plants that are perfectly safe for your cat. You can enjoy both your plants and your cat; you just need to choose your plants with the welfare of your cat in mind.
Here are some of the most popular plants which are toxic to the cat.
Lilies – All Lilies are extremely toxic to cats. This flower is a total no-no for any cat owner. All parts of the plant are severely toxic.
Ingestion of any part of this plant can lead to death for your cat. Untreated cats will die a painful death within a week or two. Lilies should never be found in a cat lover’s home.
Wisteria – If your cat eats seeds and pods from this plant, your cat may experience vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration and finally collapse.
Daffodil – Eating daffodils will lead to vomiting and diarrhea.
Chrysanthemum (Daisy) – The leaves and stems are toxic to the cat. Unfortunately cats love to nipple on leaves.
Cats that have eaten this plant will lose their appetite and get depressed. They will also start vomiting and develop diarrhea.
Amaryllis – If your cat nipples on an amaryllis it will lead to vomiting and diarrhea.
This is quite unpleasant for the cat. Please don’t purchase an amaryllis.
Azalea is a popular plant. No doubt about it, many cat owners have received these plants as gifts from well-meaning friends. This is not good news for your cat.
If your cat eats azalea your cat will start trembling and having trouble coordinating and finally your cat may collapse.
Caladium – This plant is often also called “Elephant Ear”. Some also call it “Heart of Jesus” or “Angel Wings”.
If your cat is unfortunate enough to have chewed on the Caladium, your cat will develop diarrhea and start to vomit. Your cat will also start to shake its head and have great difficulty breathing.
Creeping Charlie – However nice this plant may look, it is not cat friendly. If your cat digests parts of a Creeping Charlie, the cat will have cramps and experience vomiting and diarrhea.
Dieffenbachia is also known by the popular name “Dumb Cane”. – It is quite decorative but should not be found in a cat owners home.
Eating this plant will affect your cat’s central nervous system and that certainly is bad news for your beloved cat.
Mistletoe – The Mistletoe is ever so popular, especially around Christmas. Oh, what joy to receive a kiss under this mystic plant. If you are a cat owner please make sure to keep it out of reach for your cat.
If your cat chews on the Mistletoe berries, the consequence will be quite unpleasant. Your cat may get blisters in its mouth and have breathing difficulties. As if that is not enough, your cat will start vomiting and develop diarrhea.
Poinsettia – Poinsettia is a favored gift. We all love to give and receive the lovely poinsettia. Cat owners beware, the poinsettia is toxic to your cat.
Your cat will have problems breathing, start to vomit and get diarrhea if the cat eats on the poinsettia.
Cats that have eaten on the decorative Monstera will develop diarrhea and vomiting. The cat will also have breathing problems.
The large green leaves of the Monstera plant are not what you want place in easy reach for your cat.